Innovations for Sustainability
Did you know that only a mere 14% of plastics are actually recycled? It’s a staggering statistic. What about the other 86%? Some of it is fated for landfills, and worse yet, some of it ends up in our oceans, rivers, and lakes. In fact, 8 million tons of plastic, a large portion of its packaging waste, makes its way into the oceans each year. So what is the solution?
A New Life for Waste Plastics
Companies like Agilyx are working to find ways to eliminate plastic waste, while making plastics a renewable resource. They are committed to addressing the worldwide plastic waste issue head on. Their approach is to draw from systems and technologies they’ve developed to turn otherwise non-recyclable waste plastics into a range of valuable products. Agilyx has developed a process for using these throw-away plastics to produce a premium grade crude oil feed stock that can be sold into commerce and used in various products. They also happen to be the only company in the world that can transform waste polystyrene into styrene monomers that can be recycled fully, and turned back into polystyrene products.
This Portland-based company founded in 2004, has been hard at work for more than 15 years developing technologies with the power to change the landscape of recycling. Their work has been propelled forward by a passion for solving the overarching waste problem, and converting plastics into a long-term durable carbon source. They partner with companies across the globe to scale all the potential options for turning waste plastics into valuable and usable resources.
Their first technology generation reactor was developed and first oil was produced in 2006, and by 2014 they had processed 8 million pounds of mixed waste plastics, yielding 800,000 gallons of crude oil. In 2018, they launched their first waste polystyrene to styrene monomer facility.
How Can You Help?
Agilyx is committed to their industry-leading approach to recycling waste plastics. Leveraging a combination of their innovative idea, their technical expertise, and their technology platform, Agilyx is both converting waste plastics into high-value oils and chemical substrate products and paving the way for an environmentally responsible solution to the plastic crisis. On top of this, the company is also actively working to educate, and engage with consumer, schools, businesses, and municipalities, to maximize the efforts. They ask a simple question– what can you do to advance a new plastic economy?
One thing you can do is partner with iSustain. We specialize in innovative solutions for your entire waste stream– creative recycling for a changing world. Are you making the most environmentally responsible choices for your business? We can help.