According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), plastics comprise 12% of municipal solid waste, with containers and packaging making up the largest part of that percentage.
- Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour! Most of them are thrown away
- Over 1,600 businesses are involved in recycling post-consumer plastics.
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures a year! Ever heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? It’s twice the size of Texas and is floating somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii. It’s also 80 percent plastic, and weighs in at 3.5 million tons.
- Only 13.3% of plastic packaging was recycled in 2008.
- For every 1 ton of plastic that is recycled we save the equivalent of 2 people’s energy use for 1 year, the amount of water used by 1 person in 2 month’s time and almost 2000 pounds of oil.
At iSustain we are doing our part to improve the reuse of industrial scrap plastic. iSustain handles thousands of tons per month of plastic recycling material for our manufacturing and industrial vendors. We provide value to our suppliers by developing solutions or increased value to plastic recycling material.
Working together with your team, we find plastic recycling solutions to your plastic scrap waste stream problems.